Having setup this blog a while ago, I promptly forgot to update it. So as a prelude to my first proper blog, here’s a short run-down of events so far.
Batch 1: Survival achieved!!
In February I made my first attempt at charcuterie in the form of a Spanish style dry-cured Chorizo, aided by the game ‘Dr’ Simon Pick. It was a qualified success. A success in that it looked like chorizo, smelled like chorizo and even tasted like chorizo, and – most importantly of all – it didn’t kill us! Qualified in that it was very definitely on the ‘salty’ side. Not world beating sausage yet, then, but confidence was high: the process had worked!
|My first ever chorizos in my state-of-the-art bespoke drying chamber. Note for South London dwellers: this is visible from most platforms of Clapham Junction train station|
Batch 2: Taste sensation
Now confident of not killing myself and my loved ones, March’s batch 2 got a bit experimental. Starting from the same basic recipe I reduced the salt content (actually, I didn’t – I just measured it out more accurately), and added fennel seeds and dried chilli. The results – if I say so myself – were pretty damn good! The fennel was pronounced but not overpowering, whilst the chilli was subtle and imparted a real lingering flavour. Still a touch over-salty. Going in the right direction, though.
|Brandishing my chilli and fennel beauties pre-drying. That stringing method looked good, but I ended up having to un-string them so the air could circulate - balls|
To be continued...